Thursday, January 7, 2016

Father of the Bride

"I used to think a wedding was a simple affair. Boy and girl meet, they fall in love, he buys a ring, she buys a dress, they say I do. I was wrong. That's getting married. A wedding is an entirely different proposition. I know. I've just been through one. Not my own, my daughter's. Annie Banks Mackenzie. That's her married name: Mackenzie. You fathers will understand. You have a little girl. An adorable little girl who looks up to you and adores you in a way you could never have imagined. I remember how her little hand used to fit inside mine. Then comes the day when she wants to get her ears pierced, and wants you to drop her off a block before the movie theater. From that moment on you're in a constant panic. You worry about her meeting the wrong kind of guy, the kind of guy who only wants one thing, and you know exactly what that one thing is because it's the same thing you wanted when you were their age. Then, you stop worrying about her meeting the wrong guy, and you worry about her meeting the right guy. That's the greatest fear of all, because, then you lose her. It was just six months ago that that happened here. Just six months ago, that the storm broke."

If you don't recognize this quote then you're doing it all wrong.
It's from Father of the Bride of course!
Father of the Bride was a movie that came out in 1991 (a little before our time) starring Steve Martin and Diane Keaton, written by Frances Goodrick and Albery Hackett and directed by Charles Shyer.

The story is about a girl who is getting married and dreams of a big fantastic, extravagant wedding while her father is going into debt trying to pay for it. This comedy also brings out the tears in some fathers' eyes who are watching their little girls grow up.

My dad, a pretty tough veteran, still cries whenever he watches this movie. He has three daughters who are all growing up dreaming of big fantastic, extravagant wedding. My sisters and I are still contemplating whether he's crying over us growing up or the debt he's about to be in...whoops!

I think ya'll should watch it!

1 comment:

  1. What are your thoughts on the medieval style extravagant arranged marriages?

    ReplyDelete