Wednesday, December 16, 2015

1988

My aunt hosted this past Thanksgiving, as usual. Thirty of my family members went to her house to have dinner, enjoyed each others company and share lots of laughs and memories. With my sister and cousin getting "almost" engaged, the marriage and love spirit was in the air that day. With nana being excited and the aunts looking at wedding dresses, memories of old weddings come up. Everyone, every single aunt, uncle, grandparents and cousin said that my parents, Kathleen Grady and Tim Gover, had the best wedding anyone has even attended. 1988. 

Let's start off with their story. On fathers day of 1987, my mother went to the bar with her sisters and friends for the night. Just across the room, she spotted a dashing young man in his coast guard uniform and asked him to dance. Although, my dad likes to change the story around so it doesn't make him sound too much of a chicken. A year later they were getting married.

My grandmother was a caterer and event planner so naturally, she took charge. She bought the wedding dress, booked the venue, picked the food and made sure everything went has smooth as possible. In fact, my mother did not even see her wedding dress until the day of. As you could imagine...that was an issue. 

Anyway, the wedding was hosted at the Sheraton Hotel in Boston's Back Bay area; top floor with a view of the city. With a whopping 400 quests, there was no dull moment. Yes, the camera man missed her walking down the aisle and the band was an hour late, but my grandfather bought a push cart of free alcohol so everyone had a great night. 

Weddings can go bad, so super awful. But as long as you have 400 of your closest friends, family, acquaintances and mailmen there with you, its will for sure be a great time. 
Here is my parents being super cute.

1 comment:

  1. "closest friends, family, acquaintances and mailmen" recipe for a good party!! I hope my sister or someone has a wedding like this. I think a small wedding is nicer for the bride and groom both for financial and cuteness reasons but a big wedding is a way better time for the guests, less people= more boring!

    ReplyDelete